Saturday, May 4, 2013

New Beginnings (新しい始まり)


New Beginnings
新しい始まり
새로운 시작


Hello World, it’s Abby here. I’m practically dying of shame here, as I haven’t updated my blog in way too long. I wanted to write about something every week, but so much stuff has been going on that I felt overwhelmed and ended up not writing about anything at all. From now on I promise to do one of these at least once a month! ^^ I also decided, that instead of just jabbering on about my life, I would blog about specific topics, like my language journey and different Japan related things. For example, I want to talk about the differences between the different cultural foods, and the differences between how people express feelings in both, the way Americans feel about Japanese culture, my experiences with it, etcetera. Just different stuff that interests me. I don’t just want to go on and on about my life updates all the time, that would bore everyone to death. But since so much has happened, this blog will be devoted to catching you guys up on things… So bear with me. This is kind of important. The last couple months have been full of endings and beginnings.

First of all, it was my 14th birthday on April 9th. That’s right, I’m no longer 13. I SURVIVED!! LOL
No really, I was kind of relieved. I went to 3 Japanese restaurants within the course of a week. My family knows how I like to celebrate ^^. We got sushi and sashimi and ramen. One of the restaurants had waitresses working there who were actually Japanese, so I got to have a linguistic ordering experience as well. I think it went well, because I got the correct food and the waitress seemed to understand everything. I also went to get my ears pierced, and my hair cut. So I have a completely new look. Bangs and double ear piercings. A new look for a new year!

Second of all, I applied to a high school nearby to start 9th grade next year, and I got in!! It is a really great school- they offer 6 languages and international bacchelaureate programs as well as great academics all around. I went and toured there, and the people seem lovely. I can’t wait to start! I was originally planning on finishing Junior High in my school, but since I got this opportunity I’ve turned Junior High into Middle school! I only had to do 7th and 8th grade, and then my high school career begins.

Speaking of which, 8th grade is almost coming to a close. One more month!! Final exams and stuff aside, I can’t wait. 8th grade hasn’t been completely terrible, but it has been stressful. Due to some friend-related drama, my social life wasn’t really a highlight, but since that time I have regained some lost friendships and made new friends as well. I have learned that teenagers can be horrible human beings, and that no one in their right mind survives 8th grade without losing a few people to the hands of popularity and malice. I also had my first boyfriend. We recently broke up, due to several reasons involving the fact that we will both be going to different schools, and we weren’t really interested in the same things or the same kind of relationship. But we had a great time while it lasted. So while this is bittersweet, I am glad to have a new beginning there. I will be keeping in touch with my middle school friends, and although I will be sad to have to leave them, Central High School presents great opportunities I can’t turn down. So lots of happy and sad things in store for leaving Maple Grove Junior. I’m just glad this is happening more than anything else.

Oh yeah, summer! Summer is coming up faster than I can handle… But I am so pumped for Japanese camp. Mori no Ike, I’m coming home!!! ^^ I love that place. I am looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones, and of course learning lots and lots of 日本語.  After 2 weeks of Mori no Ike, I will be doing Penumbra Theatre acting camp again for 4 weeks, although it is day camp, so I will still have time for other things on weekends and after hours. Busy busy busy! We’re writing monologues this year.

And… I’m doing Korean. My Korean study has progressed amazingly in the past 6 months- I can now actually speak in sentences and convey things that I never thought I would be able to. This is partially due to the fact that my K-pop/K-drama obsession has become slightly… more of an obsession than it already was ^^;  한국 문화 사랑 해요 ~

My plans for the future year involve high school amazingness, more Korean studying, studying to take the Japanese Language Proficiency test, and lots and lots of YouTube videos.

So that’s what’s up with me!
Next blog will have a more fun/interesting topic. I promise. ^^

P.S. If you haven’t checked out my forum website for Japanese learners, that is
www.japanese.freeforums.org/
Thanks!

See ya Later!
じゃ、またね。
안녕!

7 comments:

  1. This is very bittersweet, but you have exciting opportunities coming up! I'm so excited to read all about your second amazing camp experience, and see tons of pictures and maybe hopefully some videos!

    Congratulations on getting into that amazing highschool too!

    Highschool is a very fun time, and I just know you'll have the best memories there!! Just stay strong, stay optimistic! Keep posting blogs! ♥

    Thank you for the forum mention! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I'm sorry my reply is so late :)
      I will definitely enjoy my high school life. And there will be more blogs to come.

      Delete
  2. Happy (very) late birthday!! I recently found your YouTube channel, and it's been really helpful. I hear a lot of people talking about K-dramas, can you recommend some good ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, and for watching my youtube channel and checking out my blog! I love romance K-dramas, so if you don't like romantic comedy/drama you're out of luck with me for reccomendations, but here are my top favorites
      Boys Before Flowers
      Can You Hear My Heart
      Full House
      Playful Kiss
      THe're all romantic comedies. If you like crime dramas and stuff like that, I'm sure you can find lists of that stuff online.
      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. I'm jealous you pick up languages so fast and I want to catchup to you in all the ones your learning to speak but I have to get to intermediate Japanese, over the summer I'll study amazingly diligently and maybe I will become very fluent like you! I'm gonna spend at least 4 hours a day if I can... I have to catch up, my kanji will probably not excel much but my fluency in speaking and writing will!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on all the amazing things that's happening in your life! Your new school sounds AMAZING! I wish we had something like that here in Ontario :P Congrats, congrats, congraaaats! Also, I agree with じぇいこぶ here--I'm so jealous of your ability to pick up languages really fast! And have fun at the camps you'll be attending! ^w^ The only camp I might be doing this summer is Step Camp, but that's only if I find time--I'll be taking a Co-Op course from the 3rd of July until August 15th... I hope it'll be fun :P

    By the way, do you have any J-drama recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My new school is going to be awesome, I can't wait. Thanks for the comment! Have a fun summer :)
      Jdrama reccomendations... hm
      well I like hana kimi, lovely complex (its more of a long movie than a drama but its based off an anime, its a rom com), kimi ni todoke (also based off an anime), all three of those are romantic comedies.
      Hana yori dango is my favorite rom com ever. WATCH IT. Lol
      Great Teacher Onizuka is also really good- it's not your typical romantic drama, it has more of a plotline. xD Gokusen is a related plot, both are about unlikely people who become school teachers, and they are both really good.
      So.. yeah that's my reccomendations. Hope that is useful!

      Delete