Thursday, December 6, 2012

Anime and Learning 日本語?My Opinion


こんにちは世界。Hello world, it’s Midori, signing on for another blog entry.

I’ve just decided to mostly use the name Midori on this blog because it’s my Japanese camp name and more and more people are calling me by it, so it can be the web-name for my blog too. But either works, Midori, Abby, it’s all the same. xD

Today I’d like to talk about Anime, if I may. Because first of all, I was watching K-ON earlier. And second of all, I am so sick and tired of the internet debate about using Anime to learn 日本語. Also, I’ve gotten a lot of questions recently about why I like Anime.

Like many of you JAPANOPHILES out there, I am a fan of Anime of many kinds. But there are some things that I just want to get straight here, because it’s been bothering me for a long time.

#1: Let’s address the whole “learning Japanese with Anime” debate. Let me preface this statement with the fact that I have absolutely nothing against using anime as a study tool, and I have learned tons of casual phrases (not to mention phrases I probably should never say) from watching my favorite shows. But where the 60% or so of anime fans go wrong is by thinking that anime can stand alone as the ONLY way they learn Japanese. If you’re hoping to sit down at your computer, or flatscreen, or smartphone or HOWEVER you partake in your Anime, and just learn Japanese, then I’m very sorry to say that you won’t get past “konnichiwa” or “itadakimasu”.  Unless of course you are 4 or 5 years old and still have the brain-power to soak up language like a sponge. THAT my friends, is an entirely different story. So, if that’s NOT how to go about it, than how can you work anime into your study schedule? Well, there’s many ways. (By the way, if you want more study tips on how to SUCCESSFULLY learn Japanese, I will write a whole separate blog post. But for now, I digress.)

l  Keep in a notebook a list of phrases you hear in Anime that might become useful to you.
l  Take note of interesting cultural tidbits that come up when you are watching, such as daily school life, popular music, or Japanese holidays. You may learn a lot about the culture.
l  Watch the sub version, NOT the dub, and try picking out phrases that you understand instead of just zoning out and reading the subtitles.
l  Find a version of the manga online or in a store that has Japanese with furigana (little phonetical characters on top of the characters to help you read), and use a dictionary to help you sort out words you don’t know. (this is most successful  if you’ve watched the anime and know the story line, because you don’t stress out about knowing what’s going on, simply focusing on learning something new.)
l  Listen to or learn the theme song at the beginning or end, usually they have Japanese and English subtitles, and it’s interesting to learn Japanese through music. Pick out some key phrases from the refrain, or get it for your iPod
l  Talk to Japanese people who also like the Anime, have a conversation about a favorite character. (KEEP IN MIND that not all Japanese people are going to like the same anime you do, or even like anime at all. SO make sure to preface your discussion with the question “do you like this anime?” so as not to annoy them with constant anime chatter.)
l  DON’T FORGET ABOUT OTHER FORMS OF STUDY, ANIME SHOULD NOT BECOME THE SOLE REASON YOU ARE INTERESTED IN JAPANESE CULTURE IF YOU TRULY WANT TO LEARN THE LANGUAGE.

Hopefully that offered you some helpful tips!
Now that aside, I would like to talk about the word ANIME as a whole. Many people ask the question “do you like Anime” too broadly. There are many types of anime, just as there are many types of TV shows. That would be like asking an American person “Do you like TV shows?” They would probably respond by asking “what kind? I like certain types.” There are comedy anime, romance anime, action anime, and dramatic anime, as well as supernatural anime and any other kind you can imagine. Kids anime, adult anime, anything you want. So even if you don’t like “cute stuff” or cosplaying, and you don’t consider yourself an anime fan, be a little open minded. Maybe there will be a more serious mystery anime, or an anime that relates to your life. The word “anime” just refers to the fact that it is animated. Or maybe it’s just not your style and you like dramas or reality shows. It’s not half as much of a big deal as most of you make it out to be. Just because you like anime doesn’t make you a “weaboo” or an “otaku”.
On the other side of the spectrum, the fanatic anime fans out there have to understand that not everyone who is Japanese or is interested in the culture is going to want to watch or talk about anime. It is a specific interest. If you want to study Japanese, there should be some OTHER motivation than just figuring out how to watch the anime without subtitles. Anime is a small part of Japanese culture out of MANY different parts of Japanese culture. It is a form of entertainment, but most people don’t think of it as your LIFE. But however you think of anime, I hope it aids you in your Japanese study, or simply just provides entertainment.

So we’ve established that I like Anime. SO what type? And Why?  I get these questions all the time.
I tend to watch the more comedy or romantic type animes. I like an anime that either makes me laugh hysterically, or cry hysterically. It’s nice to unwind from reality with a touch of drama or comedy.
I don’t like Anime that are too little kid based, or all about fighting and action, although I admit I used to like Naruto. As a little kid. I enjoy anime just because it’s a fun entertainment that also helps me study Japanese.
I like anime that provoke different emotions, because I can chose an anime or drama based on my mood. It’s nice. I also like the ART ASPECT to anime, as I like to draw manga and keep a manga journal.
A sketch I did recently, I try to post one sketch every blog entry. :D



But while there is lots I like about being a fan of anime, there are some things I can’t stand.
l  I cannot stand people who talk like Anime characters on purpose. Correction, I have no problem with the people themselves, I just wish they didn’t do that. Real people do not talk or act like anime characters. (generally speaking) Some anime are realistic, and close to real life, but most of them are a little out of proportion. Anime characters’ reactions and voices are very unique. I know girls who love anime so much they try to make their voices, outfits, and behavior match there favorite characters. I think this is a BIT extreme. The outfits I can understand, as I myself cosplay A LITTLE. This does not make me a weaboo because I understand that my life is not an anime. (Although some days it’s dramatic enough…)
l  I hate when people pronounce the word wrong when they’ve been watching it for years. “Oh yeah, I like ANEEM. I like MAYNGA and AYNIMEE. This may just be a personal pet peeve, and I may be over reacting, but it gets on my nerves. Don’t get me wrong, I get it if you just honestly didn’t know. I have no issue with people who do it by accident. But people who have been TOLD the correct pronunciation and still REFUSE to do it are what bug me.
l  When people get into comment fights in the chatroom of anime websites about their different opinions about the show, and they start getting nasty. People, chill, it’s just a show. You don’t have to badmouth people for having different opinions or liking different characters. I know, when it comes to pairings, I fiercly defend my favorite couples, but I never make it personal and offend the other person. That’s just wrong.

All that being said, I really do enjoy anime. And I personally don’t mind if you don’t, it’s your opinion. And if you don’t, I’m very sorry you had to read this long and rambly rant/rave about something you dislike. (But you don’t have to read it…) Please put your opinions in the comments, I love to hear. <3 you guys are the nicest commenters. You make my day.

To end this on a POSITIVE note, these are three of the top famous anime quotes I have most heard of. Guess what anime they came from in the comments, and I’ll tell you if you were right. This is also food for thought for you fellow learners of 日本語。(as for you guys, I’ll try to make a study tips blog post soon.)

1)  はいつもひとつ
“One truth prevails”

2) 月にかわっておしおきよ」  “In the name of the Moon, I will punish you! ”

3) 俺がめるのをめろ“Maybe you should give up on me giving up!”


GUESSES, GUESSES, I WANT YOUR GUESSES BELOW IN THE COMMENTS :D

Oh my, that blog was longer than I had wanted… ごめん
Thank you for being faithful readers. (I’m not sure how many of you there are yet, but thanks!) I’ll have a blog about the happenings of my life up soon.
Thanks for reading!
This is ミドリ(MIDORI) singing off for now ^_^

16 comments:

  1. Haha I can't agree more! I always think about writing a similar post on my blog every year, but I always end up posting this video whenever I feel like ranting: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rQFfRN6qmA)...

    One correction though! I don't think taking notes about "Japanese culture" from anime is a good idea, just like I don't recommend taking notes about "American culture" from American cartoons. For instance, when I went back to my highschool to teach a survival session of Japanese to the school's "anime club", I noticed that a lot of them were into an anime called "Ouran Highschool Host Club". They asked me to watch an episode with them, and then asked me if all Japanese host clubs were like this... they asked me if I went to a host club when I was in Tokyo, and told me that they are excited to go to Japan for the purpose of spending money at a male host club in Kabukicho.

    They were all so excited, so I didn't have the heart to say anything. Instead, I put on "The Great Happiness Space" documentary (my favorite documentary, oddly enough), and had the whole class watch it. They discovered that most host clubs are equivalent to prostitution. I told them afterwards that Kabukicho is the "red light district", and famous for prostitution.

    Extreme example, but even I thought that host clubs would be amazing at first from watching anime. Highschools in Japan aren't anything like anime; also. Anime makes the characters stand out and do loud, obnoxiously funny things, but such personalities are rare in Japanese culture. The nail that sticks up gets pounded down, sort of thing. Frankly, when I see an anime - I don't think of the Japan I know, at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! xD
      Sorry, I guess I should just clarify that I meant things like food names, and people saying itadakimasu, as this is stuff that I actually myself learned from Anime. Also the "tadaima" "okaeri" thing when you come home. I also mentioned later that the behavior of people in anime should not be one of those things to imitate, so I hope people don't misunderstand.
      I know, it was hard to consolidate that down to a medium sized blog post... lol
      I watched Ouran, but I had no expectations for it to be realistic. I just enjoyed it. I don't understand why people take it so seriously... I agree with you.
      I'll email you soon, just been busy with school and stuff
      コメントをいつもありがとうね〜
      またね、
      アッビ

      Delete
  2. Haha I agree with everything you said ^.^ It's so true--anime should not be the SOLE way one goes about learning Japanese, and there's many different kinds. Great post :) I really like your blog layout, by the way!

    I was pretty much surfing YouTube the other day when I found your videos, so since then, I've been on your channel going through your vids... I think it's so cool how you have an interest in learning so many languages! Like German and Mandarin. I'd like to know how to speak German too some day, but for now, I'm too scared to try and am focusing on my Japanese haha :P (like, I'm too scared I'm going to mix up the two languages)

    I was going to ask you this on YT, but since I don't have an account (so I can't leave comments or message you), I'm going to ask you here...an EXTREMELY stupid question. I'm sorry, but I was wondering, when introducing yourself in Japan, would you say your name the way it's supposed to be pronounced in your native language, or how the other country would say it? In case that's unclear... would I say "Kayla desu/watashi no namae wa Kayla desu" or "Keira desu?"

    Thanks so much for taking your time to read this ^w^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! ^^
      How long have you been learning Japanese? I'm glad you like my YouTube channel, I hope the lessons help. :D I mainly study Japanese, although I LOVE other languages too, and am planning on taking a Spanish class in school next year.
      As for your question, either works fine, however I always try to make it into the Japanese pronounciation so I make it easier for the Japanese person, as they have trouble with the English "L" sound. so I would say "keira desu".
      If you have any other Japanese questions, feel free to email me at TheLanguageHelp@gmail.com
      that is my email for language related questions. I will be sure to get back to you. Thanks for commenting, I plan on posting another blog entry today.

      Abby

      Delete
    2. I don't mean to intrude but you can also say "keira to moushimasu" instead of watashi no namae wa keira desu; it is a bit less to say and would more be used in Japan... trust me I'm not trying to be a know it all its just what it said in my book.

      Delete
    3. Oh haha no, you don't sound like a know-it-all at all! Thanks for the advice :) I'm always trying to figure out different ways to say "my name is" as well since I seem to overuse the word "desu" a lot :p ありがとうございます!

      Delete
  3. I've only been studying for about 2 months and a half :/ I started in July and August, but didn't return to Japanese until the holidays because school is just so...hecktic ;_; Hopefully that'll change next semester.

    The lessons are awesome! ^.^ I love how you also do lessons teaching Japanese people English. And you speak clearly and in a way that's easy to follow ^w^ Your vids art total epicness :P

    Ooooh Spanish, good luck! XD I think the only Spanish word I know is gracious (sp) and that's from Dora. Whenever I try to say anything else, my Spanish friends make fun of my accent haha :P I used to take French (because it's mandatory in my city [or maybe province?] until grade 9), but I stopped taking it this year :/ I meant to continue it, but ...I was only offered 2 electives and I wanted to use them for computer science and Business studies. But I can always learn French on my own time. If you don't mind me asking, what grade are you in?

    That makes sense ^.^ Awesome, thanks so much! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, you've only been studying for a little! Well, your japanese seems to be pretty good so far.

      Thanks, I'm glad you like the videos! I love making them. Wow, I am flattered. "epicness" is high praise on the internet xD

      Yeah, spanish is pretty easy. I've studied it a bit. The only annoying part is grammar and verbs and all that stuff. Province? Do you live in Canada? I live in st. Paul Minnesota. I am in 8th grade, my second year of Junior High school. And you?
      Thanks for the comments!

      Abby

      Delete
    2. I don't mean to jump in, but in Minnesota they have only 2 years in jr. high right?

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much XD

      Yeah, I live in Canada ^.^ I'm in 10th grade...second year of high school. I don't think we have junior high here.. Or if we do, I've never seen a school with "junior high" attached to its name. But anyway, that's awesome! You know so much already, you must have started studying Japanese early. That or you've studied really hard (I think Ryuzaki1311 said she studied for 4 hours a day 0_o). How many years have you been studying?

      Delete
    4. Oh that's awesome! Canada is not that far away. What province? Well, Junior high is like Middle school. I guess. Same thing. 7th, 8th, and 9th grade. Yeah, I only started studying Japanese a year and a half ago, and I only actually STUDY an hour a day. But Japanese is included in other parts of my daily life that are more fun than study, like watching anime and drama, and movies, and talking with Japanese people at a weekly japanese speaking club St. Paul, or talking with Japanese people on skype. Also I talk to myself in japanese when I'm alone sometimes to practice lol
      I also keep a daily diary and read a lot of internet blogs and stuff in Japanese, and most of my music on my ipod is Japanese. So even though I don't sit down and study much, I am surrounded by my hobby of Japanese things so it helps me to learn.
      I love Ryuzaki-chan's channel! xD she is amazing, like my role model for when I am 15 and 16 and so on, I want to be able to speak that well.

      Delete
  4. In zee province of Ontario. Yeah, I guess junior high is somewhat similar to middle school (grade 5-8 here) in the sense that it's kind of that bridge you must cross before you have to enter high school :) Aaaaaah that's awesome ^.^ How you immerse yourself in as much Japanese as possible. And the weekly Japanese club sounds great! I wish we had something like that here.

    You're so inspiring! ^_^

    ..You keep a daily diary...? Is it like a journal in Japanese, or is it a journal measuring how much progress you've made? It sounds great either way, though :)

    Agreed. She is just unreal. Amazing. I hope she uploads more videos soon, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *oops, I meant grades 6 to 8 :P

      Delete
    2. we have both middle schools and junior high schools here. Junior high is 7-9th grade, because a lot of elementary schools go from kindergarten to 6th. But some of them are 6-9. Most middle schools are like 6-8 or 7-8.
      It's confusing because we can't just decide on one LOL.
      So even though 9th grade is included in "junior high", it counts on your record for high school... that's what I'll be next year.
      Ryuzaki is very busy, so I will be satisfied if she uploads a video every once and a while xD
      Unreal as she is, I have gotten to the point where I find myself picking up little Japanese errors in her videos every so often, so now I just regard her as a human and a fellow youtuber instead of my idol, but I still think she's awesome because we all make mistakes :D

      Delete
  5. ミドリに聞く?ミドリは、一番好きなバンド。皆が、ミドリは奇妙だ、言う。
    Whoa, just realized that I'm not good at Japanese anymore. lol. All of this Swedish is really getting in the way of my Japanese studies. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you meant "you go by midori?" i'm not sure... sorry, it was a little strangely worded. But I got that there is a popular band called Midori. i've never heard of it! At Japanese camp I chose the Japanese name Midori, so now I go by that as well as Abby. Thanks for the comment! It's okay, your Japanese is pretty good. Just keep working at it!

      Delete